Monday, August 1, 2011

My tied-for-first Favorite Meal: Breakfast Burritos!


So I told you before I had a tough time deciding my favorite meal. Well, this is the reason why it was difficult. Breakfast Burritos are really good. Scrambled Tofu, from Vegan Brunch, is really really good with Chorizo "sausages" in there, and if you prefer, some vegan cheddar.
By the way, Vegan soy cheddar needs a side note. New vegans, fear not. You can someday learn to like the taste of soy cheddar. It takes a long time, but eventually you stop thinking, "eh, at least it's somethin" to something you always want to put on your b-fast burrito, or taco, or BBQ chicken pizza. Or you can learn to adjust to your new cheese-less life. But if you're like me, cheese was my drug of choice so after going vegan, I needed the soy equivalent of methadone. I like the Follow Your Heart brand because it's the best one available at the Giant, but there are better ones out there I'm sure. A good gateway vegan cheese is vegan mozzarella. It eases you into the new territory softly. Daiya's mozzarella tastes a lot like deli american cheese, in my opnion, and it's soy free, incidentally. I use Daiya for grilled cheese sandwiches and they are amazing. Getting Daiya requires me to drive to a store that is 15 minutes away though, so I only go there when I also need other things that the Giant two blocks away doesn't sell. Like nutritional yeast, the bastards! They used to sell it in bulk, then away it went with the natural/organic bulk section to make way for gluten free packaged foods. jerks. ANYWAY- food.

 I like my scrambled tofu with onions, and mushrooms, and spinach. click here for recipe The spice blend is very delicious, and I never would have thought "cumin" for breakfast. But it totally works. Then you make some chorizo sausages. Well, technically you make them first, then you start the tofu scramble about 15 minutes before they are done. I don't know if the link I posted before had a recipe for the chorizo, but I think it did not. You make them the same way as the others, I do this a little differently though:

1/2 c pinto beans get mashed up good in a large-ish bowl
in goes all the following ingredients:
1 TBL olive oil
1 cup vegetable broth
2 TBL soy sauce
2 TBL tomato paste
2 tsp lemon zest
2 garlic cloves grated w/ microplane, or put them through a press, or minced fine, OR just use some high quality garlic powder, or failing that, use the garlic powder you got for 50 cents. But it's worth it to get some really good garlic powder for when you just don't have time to mince. Spice Islands does a really good impression of fresh garlic.
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 TBL SMOKED paprika. Seriously, you need to spend the $6 for the smoked kind. no substitution here.
1 TBL dry rubbed sage, though I prefer only 1/2
1 tsp dried oregano
optional spices: 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp cayenne

mix that up well, then add 1 and 1/4 c Vital Wheat Gluten and mix and knead it til it's good and combined.

Divide dough into 4 pieces, wrap each in a square of aluminum foil like a tootsie roll, making sure the edges are tightly sealed up. Steam for 40 minutes and enjoy on your burrito.

We also highly recommend Chipotle tabasco sauce on these burritos. These things are so good, we had these bad boys Saturday night, then I decided to go buy more tofu since we had leftover sausage, and more wraps and mushrooms to have them again Sunday night. omg.

No comments:

Post a Comment